Hola!

Hola!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Can a Leopard Change It's Spots?

In March of 2009 my family took a road trip to Galveston, Texas (don't ask me why because they had just been plummeted with a hurricane.) We took two vehicles. I drove mine and Jeff drove my dad's.

I warned him. "Jeff, my dad will talk non-stop the whole trip so be ready."

A few hours into the trip we stopped for gas. I walked up to Jeff and he said, "Kelly, you were not joking. Your dad did not shut up the whole time. I mean, the WHOLE time!! He never stopped talking!!"

I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree on that one.

Ever since I was a small child I haven't wanted to be hushed. I talked and talked and talked. I look at old report cards and every single one of them said something like this......."Kelly is a bright child but does too much socializing...." "Kelly talks too much." "Kelly has a hard time keeping to herself."

My mom tells a story about me as a little child. She told me if she wanted me to be quiet she would place her finger over my mouth and the tears would flow. I just could not be hushed.

To this day I do not like to be hushed.

I am outspoken and feel the need to be heard. If I have an opinion I want to be able to say it. I have gotten into a lot of trouble because of this. If someone says something on facebook that I don't agree with I say so. If someone exhibits dysfunctional behavior I usually shine a light on it.

The question is. Can I change my spots? Should I change who I am? How can I learn to temper myself? Should I change who I am to make someone else happy?

I used to love to hear my dad talk. I would listen and allow him to say anything he wanted. I was someone he could vent to. I miss listening to him. Happy, sad or mad.

No comments: