Hola!

Hola!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chronicles of Cancer and Mayo

Got back from my second trip to Mayo for chemo. The world's greatest invention?? The Porto Cath.This is awesome. They put this port under my skin on my right chest, above my breast. If you have ever seen someone with a pacemaker, it looks kinda like that.So I got it about a week ago and I went to have a blood draw. She sticks a needle in the port and I felt NOTHING!!!! Nothing!! No more sticking me in the vein!! Then I had chemo. Same thing. I saw her coming at me with a needle and I got anxious. Poke. NOTHING!!! No more IVs!!!!!!!!!So I got to thinking about all this cancer stuff. I like having young doctors? Why?? Here is an example.I went to Iowa City to have a needle biopsy of my liver. They wanted to see if the spots on my liver were cancerous. The gal brought me into a room to tell me what they were going to do. She talked of sticking a very long needle between my ribs. I would be wide awake. Then they would wiggle the needle around to try to get some cells. If that didn't work then they would have to put a huge needle in me that would snip off some tissue.Well after hearing some of this I had a bonafide panic attack. My blood pressure went up and I had to lay down. I thought I would throw up. My sister in law, who is an oncology nurse, asked them to give me an Adivan (a newer version of Valium.....) They said yes. So I went to the waiting room and then came to get me and told me the doctor said, "She doesn't need an Adivan, I have done thousands of these!!!"So they wheel me in and guess who comes in? This old doctor. Definitely old school. Tough it out!! You can do it!! You don't need to cloud your mind with drugs!!Give me a young person who will give me the Adivan so I can soar through this kind of scary procedure with a little piece of mind!!!Mayo gave me a prescription for this......I will definitely be taking this on my next flight!!!!!
Written on Thursday · Comment ·LikeUnlike

No comments: